ENGL 2322: British Literature I Essay #2: Academic Researched Essay
MLA 8/9 Academic Researched Essay
This assignment supports the following outcomes:
• Identify purpose and audience.
• Evaluate sources of information.
• Cite and document sources of information according to the appropriate style.
• Complete a research essay using the writing process.
• Research and defend thesis.
MLA Academic Researched Essay
The assignment is to analyze how Beowulf or Marie de France’s The Lay of Sir Launfal read in this course explores and comments on an issue. You must use the writing process to create your essay. This essay should be 3-5 full pages in length, plus a Works Cited page. You must use specific textual evidence from the literature you discuss, as well as secondary sources from legitimate publications, such as magazine, newspaper, or academic journal articles. To be successful, the essay must include:
• An effective audience analysis.
• An effective thesis statement.
• Effective transitions.
• Appropriate academic language and voice
• An introduction paragraph, body paragraphs that support the points in the thesis, and an effective conclusion.
The literature should be properly cited from our couse textbook on the Works Cited page, using a proper MLA 8/9 full citation. Proper MLA in-text citations should be used in the essay’s text to refer to this full citation on the Works Cited page.
• All secondary sources should be properly cited on the Works Cited page, using proper MLA 8/9 full citations. Proper MLA in-text citations should be used in the essay’s text to reer to these sources listed on the Works Cited page.
• The Purdue Unviversity OWL website can help you write the correct MLA 8/9 citations for your sources. The Purdue website also explains basic MLA in-text citations.
• Sources should not be wikis, study guides, essay writing services, Shmoop, Good Reads, e-notes, blogs, reference sources such as encyclopedias, or the like. You also may not use translations or summaries of the literature as a source.
• Academic researched essay 3-5 pages using MLA 8/9 style.
• Works Cited page (properly citing the literature from the course textbook and secondary sources) used both on the Works Cited page and included within the essay to support your claim. A minimum of four (4) secondary sources (anything published by scholars that discusses the literature) and the literature (primary source) will be used, for a total minimum of five (5) citations listed on the Works Cited page.
The Academic Researched Essay Grading Rubric will be used to evaluate your assignment.
• Angelina College Library
• Purdue Owl
©2021 Angelina College Page 1 of 1 Last Modified: 12 August 2021